Before I announce the winners I just want to take a moment to thank everyone that contributed. Holy cow that was a lot of haiku! Choosing the winners was no easy task.
I have decided that the First Annual Celebratory Haiku Contest will also be the last. That’s not to say that there will never be another contest. There will always be another contest. It’s just that I have hit my personal haiku limit and need to be able to imagine a future for myself without haiku in it. Maybe I’ll come back around to the idea once a full year has lapsed.
Cue the announcer. Here are the winners….
GRAND PRIZE WINNERS
Grand Prize winners will receive:
- A one year subscription to Organic Gardening Magazine
- Seasons One and Two of Recreating Eden on DVD.
- One copy of You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to Gardening by Gayla Trail
- Four packs of organic seeds from Urban Harvest.
1. Alexa Burcroff from CO won a grand prize pack:
Mallow takes over
a border like your mother
” just trying to help.”
2. Melissa from California also won a grand prize pack for:
Please, seeds of grandeur,
fulfill your picture promise.
You cost me two bucks.
HONORABLE MENTION WINNERS
Honorable mention winners will receive:
- A one year subscription to Organic Gardening Magazine.
1. C.M. Buxton of Fayetteville, AR:
The butts gather like
flower petals after rain
the gardener sighs
2. Larry West of Louisville, KY:
Tried to grow garden
our neighbor hates native plants
got fine from city
3. Patience Blythe of Austin, Texas:
Sewage pipe collapsed
Front yard left a dirty gash
I received a handful of entries that spoke specifically about You Grow Girl and/or offered birthday wishes within the haiku itself. Smarty pantses! A small award goes out to Elaine of Vancouver, BC for Best Birthday Wish / Use of My Name / Ass Kiss Tribute Haiku. Elaine gets a set of our new OVER-SIZED buttons that aren’t even available yet!
Following Gayla’s trail:
Gardening wit and wisdom,
For eight years, the best.