Last Sunday marked the annual Ontario Herbalist’s Association Herb Fair at Harbourfront. I am pleased to announce that it was also the most successful You Grow Girl Toronto Meetup to date with our best turnout yet!!
Before I go any further I’m just going to come out and say that the Herb Fair was not up to par this year. There were far fewer vendors than in previous years and the whole medieval garb, fake accent, Renaissance theme was REALLY not my bag, if you know what I mean. That said, the day was fun and a great success because a lovely bunch of people from the forums showed up to geek out to herby goodness!
There was a lot of repetative hand to nose action throughout the day as some of us attempted to smell every herb on site. I sneezed for two days straight afterwards! Here’s my list of purchases:
- Lesbos Basil
- Purple Bush Basil
- Blue Spice Basil – This is new to me. First time growing. Smells very sweet and spicy, quite similar to Sacred Basil but a larger plant.
- African Blue Basil
- Taxi Tomato – Supposedly a yellow tomato, similar to my beloved Yellow Boy but tastier. We shall see.
- Ditmarsher Tomato – Determinant tomato. They did not have my beloved Sunrise III so I settled for this.
- Black Plum Tomato
- Black Krim Tomato
- Yellow Pear Cherry Tomato – Courtesy of Amy
- Ceylon Tomato – Courtesy of Amy
- Cinnamon Scented Geranium
- Mrs. Taylor Scented Geranium – Not a great smell but has pretty, small red flowers.
- Fernleaf Scented Geranium – They say it smells like pine. I say, “Whatever.” Not a great smell but it has amazing, lacy foliage.
- Miniature Curry Plant – I got this because it is a lovely trailing plant with small, silvery leaves and tiny flowers with the most AMAZING curry scent. It should do well on my deck.