First up I need to clarify the meaning of the last post. A lot of people thought I was talking about gardening hardship, when I was actually talking about work deadlines. I was REALLY tired and not too with it when I wrote that post. Please excuse my lack of clarity.
Hardening off (back and forth forever) is certainly a pain in the butt, especially now that the kitchen floor is covered in trays and we can barely open the fridge door. However, my complaints were about NOT being able to garden rather than being overwrought by the work I have before me. Sitting at my desk and plugging away at a computer when there is a backyard out there that needs to be transformed into a garden is a certain kind of torture.
All I want to be do is garden!
But this is life as an adult so moving on….
It rained a lot this weekend, but I was out there anyway. It was my first weekend off (sort-of. Not really. But mostly.) since Xmas and I decided ahead of time that I was going to take full advantage rain or shine.
We got very wet and I’m suffering for it now, but at least the garden is starting to look like slightly more than an anthropological dig or an uprooted burial site on a television crime drama. Now it looks like a mud wrestling pit!
Here it is, this morning, it all of it’s “glory.”
Before I go any further I have to address that mulch in the bottom right corner. The bag it came in said, “natural cedar mulch.” Davin says it is natural and that it’s just unexpectedly red wood. I say they are lying liars who lie and it is dyed. I absolutely abhor dyed mulch. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. And now I have it in my yard. Gag!
- This weekend’s crowning achievement was installing the cinderblock wall that you can see in the bottom of the picture. We’ve planted it up with an assortment of sedums. I’ll post a photo once it has grown in a bit.
The wall was needed because we have a sloped yard. All of the work we are doing is in an attempt to even it out as best we can (by hand) and make tiers.
- The three raised beds on the left hand side were built using scrap wood. As a result the sizes of the wood determined the layout and subsequently the eventual placement of pathways. We still need to place a few more beds down that side. Our intent is to go right up to the compost bin, which sits in front of the ramshackle shed. That area is full of violets that I want to dig up and move, as well as a young lilac bush that was put in by the people before us. They look really wonky in the picture, but that’s because this image is an amalgam of several pictures and some were rotated to fit.
- The bricks that sit to the right of the raised beds are just there for placement. They mark where I have created two levels or steps. I purchased the cement urns at a flea market over the weekend and they sit at the edge of the steps. The recycling box is just there to hold grass and is not part of the design.
- The little pear tree is blooming. I planted ‘Silver’ thyme underneath. We also planted asparagus back there and two raspberry canes way in the back corner (you can’t see it well). There is a patch of garlic back there as well. I planted that shortly after moving in.
- I’ve dug up a lot of goldenrod (Solidago). A LOT of it! There is more yet.
- The rest of the back half still needs to be dug up. That’s where a lot of the edible annuals (tomatoes, peppers,etc) will be going so as you can see I’ve got a lot ahead of me. And it’s needed in short order! We still have half a bag of duck manure waiting to be added in. And we haven’t found the gravel we want to lay down pathways with.
Hopefully this will look more like a garden next month. Hopefully.